Monday, June 27, 2011

Returning Home

It has been a challenge returning to real life. The time difference has been a big adjustment for me. I slept a lot over the weekend, trying to catch up on sleep. Returning to my day job was a bit of a letdown. To return to being a cog in a bureaucratic wheel from our time in Cambodia is simply disappointing. I'm no extravert, but as I sit behind my desk and read reports, I miss engaging people and spending time with the kids of PE2.

On Sunday, we went out for lunch in search of some familiar food with our friends Teddy and Jamie. We found a Vietnamese spot in the North Market that serves pho noodles and a really good combination platter. We brought our kids who shared what we've been eating. Jamie even had a favored Vietnamese style iced coffee.

There is a lot to get back to here in Ohio. My dad has returned home from a long stay in a nursing home. Sarabeth is planning for her teaching position next school year. We're trying to get caught up on house work after 18 days away - cleaning, groceries, yard work. It's great to be home with Hazel, even though she is as challenging as ever. (I know how my mom must have felt.)

And we are still coping with the loss of Henry. Sarabeth and I are at very different places in this. I don't think there is any right or wrong - good or bad - emotion/belief at this point. It's just simply moving forward one day at a time. I don't think I will ever have a satisfactory explanation as to why God allowed this to happen. No doubt there is extreme suffering in this world. I never doubted that God was good before it landed in my life. So what does that mean?

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you as you grieve. My heart aches for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow. I just put two and two together. My friend Amy told me back in February about her friend who was going to lose her son (Amy and her husband lost their precious daughter 2 years ago). I prayed for this little boy and his parents. Then my husband and I donated money in his memory to Asia's Hope. His name was Henry. Your son. Will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete