Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Saying Goodbye

It was good to be with the kids of PE2 again after being away to visit Angkor Wat. The bus ride back was rough. The driver turned the air conditioning off halfway through. He opened the doors to provide some air flow and then took a dirt road the last 2 hours because he didn't want to pay the toll for the new national road. (And we paid extra for this so called "express" bus.)

We had a practice run at saying goodbye to the kids Monday evening. The house parents gave us gifts for each of us and our children. They have been so kind. We still had lots of fun playing games, frisbee and soccer. We took more pictures with the kids and staff. All in all, a good day despite the bus ride.

Tuesday was our last day in Phnom Penh. We went out for breakfast with John McCollum and his family. We went to get massages at Hands, the place that employes blind Cambodians as messieurs. I thought it was just okay, but my wife seemed to really enjoy the experience. We made a final trip to the local markets to pick up some last minute gifts to take home.

Then it was off to PE2. I think saying goodbye was harder for the kids and the other staff than me. I was not sad to go. I will miss the children of PE2 as they are beautiful, creative, wonderful kids. But I know what sadness is for me. Sadness is watching my son die.

I came to Cambodia with limited expectations. I came for three reasons, for Henry, for healing, and for hope. I wanted to honor my son's memory and do something to make a difference in the lives of other children. PE2 had not had a team from Central Vineyard visit since 2008. They saw all the other orphan homes receive visitors each year and prayed that their church would come to visit them.

It was great to love on these kids. I felt good to embrace them and let them know how important they are. It felt right to fall in love with another child. And the kids were receptive to the attention and affection of our team. They soaked it up, and we were all glad to embrace them.

I also came to Cambodia with an empty place in my heart. And these children helped to fill it. It was a healing time to experience the love and affection of these children. As much as we loved on them, they loved us back twice as much. To receive the hugs and gifts and unqualified gladness from them helped to heal my heart. I said thank you a hundred times as I said goodbye - for I am thankful to have this opportunity.

I also came to Cambodia for hope. To share the hope of a future for these kids and to be able to trust God - to hope again. I made some strides. I asked the older kids to pray for my family, that we could have more sons and daughters like them. I trust that God will bless them with a future full of promise. I trust that God does care and is blessing this opportunity.

I am glad to be heading home, to hold Hazel again. It's time to look forward and figure out what lies ahead. This was an important experience for me and has begun to shape my worldview. Who knows, maybe it wasn't a one time opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment